Happy Independence Day! At Cake and Party DIY we love celebrating the 4th of July, and feel blessed to be living in the Land of the Free!! I made super easy red, white and blue cupcakes and US Flags Rice Krispies Treats. This party is super special, because way before I started my blog, I won all these cute party supplies on a Baker’s Party Shop 4th of July Instagram cake photo competition. Since it was too late for me to do the party the same year, I saved everything and I knew I would use them in the future. You will find the cupcake wrappers, sprinkle mix and cute flag and fireworks picks at their shop. They also gave me the beautiful Cynthia Rowley kitchen towel, but they don’t sell that one.
For the Red, White and Blue cupcakes you will need:
- Blue and red food coloring
- Classic white buttercream
- Red, white and blue sprinkle mix
- Vanilla cupcakes recipe ( My version of Sally’s Baking Addiction Very Vanilla Cupcakes)
- 1 & 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 2 egg whites
- ¼ cup vanilla greek yogurt
- ½ cup almond milk
- ¼ cup cow milk
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
To bake the cupcakes:
- Preheat oven 350F degrees. Line 12 the pan with 12 wrappers.
- Mix all dry ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Melt butter in the microwave. Add to a separate mixing bowl. Stir in sugar (mixture will be gritty). Add all wet ingredients and combine.
- Slowly mix dry ingredients into wet ingredients until there are no lumps.
- Divide batter in 3 bowls
- Add about 10 drops of red food coloring to one bowl and 10 drops of blue food coloring to another one
- Mix each color well with a spoon
- Make sure the colors look deep as they will lighten up a little bit after baked
- Spoon a little bit of batter of each color at least twice on each liner until you have used all the batter. They will fill up a little bit more than ¾ of the liner. The batter is thick so the colors will not mix.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool.
To decorate the cupcakes:
- Once cupcakes are cool, using the widest end of a #2 Wilton tip, cut a hole almost all the way down in the middle of the cupcakes
- Do not discard the tops
- Add sprinkles in the hole and cover with the top
- Pipe buttercream and add extra sprinkles on top
- Insert picks to decorate
For the US flags Rice Krispies treats you will need:
- Individually wrapped Rice Krispies Treats
- Red, white and blue candy chips
- Blue sugar crystals
- A piece of washable plastic sheet with a square cut out off the top left corner, this will be your stencil for the blue part of the flag
To decorate the US flags Rice Krispies treats:
- Cut the Rice Krispies Treats to the desired rectangle size (about 2.5 inches long)
- Melt the white candy per bag instructions
- Dip one side of the rice krispies. Let dry.
- Melt a little bit of blue candy chips – I used about 10 chips for 6 flags
- Once they are completely dry, place your plastic on the top left corner of the flag
- Brush on melted blue candy and quickly add sugar crystals
- Melt about 15 chips of red candy and spoon inside a zip lock bag
- Cut out the very small piece off the tip of one corner
- Drizzle red candy in straight lines
And there you have it!!! Super easy Stars and Stripes Cupcakes and US Flag Rice Krispies Treats! My daughter had a blast when she found out that the cupcakes had a little sprinkle surprise inside, so I’m guessing your kids will love that feature too! Happy 4th of July! Like most Americans, our family will be attending our local community festival and watching fireworks! I hope you celebrate with friends and family and don’t forget to live the cake life! Special thanks to The Baker’s Party Shop for their super cute party supplies.